The Molecular Biosensor and Imaging Center at Carnegie Mellon University is a collaboration of biologists, chemists, and imaging scientists developing fluorescence technologies for biomedical applications. MBIC is an innovative research environment that focuses on development and application of new scientific tools. MBIC technologies are used in drug discovery, neuroscience, biomedical imaging and cancer biology programs through a variety of partnerships. Technologies launched from MBIC include the Cyanine Dyes (Cy3, Cy5, Cy7), High Content Screening (Cellomics, Inc), Difference In-Gel Electrophoresis (DIGE), Qdots for In-vivo imaging, Fluorogen Activating Proteins, and DNA Nanotags.
Learn More About MBIC
- Snyder, JC, Rochelle, LK, Ray, C, Pack, TF, Bock, CB, Lubkov, V, Lyerly, HK, Waggoner, AS, Barak, LS, Caron, MG. Inhibiting clathrin-mediated endocytosis of the leucine-rich G protein-coupled Receptor-5 diminishes cell fitness. J. Biol. Chem. 2017; :. PubMed PMID:28275053.
- Wang, Y, Ballou, B, Schmidt, BF, Andreko, S, St Croix, CM, Watkins, SC, Bruchez, MP. Affibody-targeted fluorogen activating protein for in vivo tumor imaging. Chem. Commun. (Camb.). 2017; 53 (12):2001-2004. PubMed PMID:28120951.
- Fouz, MF, Mukumoto, K, Averick, S, Molinar, O, McCartney, BM, Matyjaszewski, K, Armitage, BA, Das, SR. Bright Fluorescent Nanotags from Bottlebrush Polymers with DNA-Tipped Bristles. ACS Cent Sci. 2015; 1 (8):431-8. PubMed PMID:27163005.
- Naganbabu, M, Perkins, LA, Wang, Y, Kurish, J, Schmidt, BF, Bruchez, MP. Multiexcitation Fluorogenic Labeling of Surface, Intracellular, and Total Protein Pools in Living Cells. Bioconjug. Chem. 2016; 27 (6):1525-31. PubMed PMID:27159569.
- Vasilev, KV, Gallo, E, Shank, N, Jarvik, JW. Novel Biosensor of Membrane Protein Proximity Based on Fluorogen Activated Proteins. Comb. Chem. High Throughput Screen. 2016; 19 (5):392-9. PubMed PMID:27055753.
- Liu, W, Saunders, MJ, Bagia, C, Freeman, EC, Fan, Y, Gawalt, ES, Waggoner, AS, Meng, WS. Local retention of antibodies in vivo with an injectable film embedded with a fluorogen-activating protein. J Control Release. 2016; 230 :1-12. PubMed PMID:27038493.
All Publications (Pubmed)
News & Events
MBIC investigators in the news and MBIC related seminar and event announcements.
MBIC provides an on-line booking system for shared equipment and resources. To obtain a user account please contact either Haibing Teng, or Yehuda Creeger.
Visit Scheduling Page
Professor Marcel Bruchez
Carnegie Mellon University
4400 Fifth Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15213